April – Dunedin Games, Florida
St Thomas Alumn won overall based on MSR ensemble. MacMillan places a solid 3rd over Atlanta.
1st City of Dunedin (2,2,1,1) – Ensemble
2nd St. Thomas Alumni (1,1,2,2)
Judges: Terry Lee, Stuart Liddell (piping); Stephen McWhirter (drumming); Robert Mathieson (ensemble)
1st St. Thomas Alumni (1,2,1,2) – Ensemble
2nd City of Dunedin (2,1,2,1)
Judges: Andrew Berthoff, Jack Lee (piping); Gordon Parkes (drumming); Ken Eller (ensemble)
Congratulations to our brilliant band members who came away with medals this past weekend!
- Seton Helwig – 2nd place, Intermediate Tenor
- Sam Johnson – 3rd place, North American Gold Medal Tenor
- Ben Elkins – 2nd place (three-way tie for first), North American Gold Medal Bass
- Andrew Donlon – 2nd place, US Gold Medal Piobaireachd
- Betsy Morgan – 4th place, Amateur Tenor, 6th place North American Gold Medal Bass
Off to Kansas City They Go!
A large contingent of our members are heading off to 2018 Winter Storm to compete.
- Kevin Watkins – G3 MSR and Piob
- Ana Oyler – G3 Snare
- Ben Elkins – Gold Medal Bass
- Mary Wallace – Silver Medal Piobaireachd and Light Music Qualifier
- Martina Murphy – Amateur Tenor
- Andrew Donlon – Gold Medal Ceol Beag, Piobaireachd
- Dawn Meade – Amateur Tenor
- Seton Helwig – Amateur Tenor
- Beth Morgan – Amateur Tenor, Gold Medal Bass
- Sam Johnson – Gold Medal Tenor
- Alex Kuldell – Gold Medal Snare
Wish them luck!
Coming off the successes in Glasgow at the 2017 World Pipe Band Championships (9th out of 33 bands; drum corp placed 6th in the world), the Eastern United States Pipe Band Association upgraded MacMillan-Birtles Pipe Band from Grade 4 to Grade 3 after another prize-winning season. Congratulations and best of luck in Grade 3!